Best Time to Visit Fort Myers, Florida
Fort Myers, in southwest Florida's coast, isn't visually as attractive as St Petersburg or Sarasota, some dozen miles north, but is a top beach destination, and has it's own trumps.
Best time to visit Fort Myers
Map of St. Petersburg, Tampa, Orlando and Sarasota
WHAT TO VISIT IN FORT MYERS
Fort Myers' downtown is a lively and very well preserved center. Fort Myers' Historical Museum is a good cultural reference, located downtown.
Most of Fort Myers' beaches lie on Estero Island, fifteen miles south of Fort Myers' downtown. But there are other beaches in other local islands - San Carlos, Sanibel, Cativa. You can reach these islands by car and, in the case of Sanibel Island, appreciate an interesting local wildlife (J. N. Ding National Wildlife Refuge).
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL TO FORT MYERS
Fort Myers is located in the central-south Florida region: so, take into account the framing travel and weather facts for the region:
- Many people come during Winter (December-April) and accommodation costs are high in late winter (December is a good month for budget accommodation).
- Humidity is high in the summer period.
- It rains less in the winter than in the summer, but summer vacations aren't significantly affected by showers.
- Months such as April and May (Florida's Spring) and September, October and November (Florida's Autumn) are excellent seasons to visit Fort Myers (Autumn is a particularly good period in terms of temperatures and precipitation).
- Spring and Autumn have very pleasant weather and since they are rather off-peak periods you may find accommodation at lower prices, specially in May (mid-December is also a good period for budget accommodation).
- Specially packed periods and days: Presidents' Day weekend (February), Easter week, Memorial Day weekend (end of May), the Fourth of July, Labour Day weekend (September), Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.
See Tampa and St Petersburg Weather Map for more details on weather in Fort Myers region.
FLIGHTS AND ACCOMMODATION IN FORT MYERS
If you are looking for budget accommodation around Fort Myers, Spring (May...) and December are a good choice.